Introduction: How I Came Up With This Crazy Idea


Jules Vernes’ most famous novel, Around the World in 80 Days, was first published in 1873. It’s the fictional story about a wealthy British bachelor who accepts a 20,000 pound bet that he can’t circumnavigate the world in 80 days. He heads in an eastern direction, traveling mainly by steamer, mixed with some railway across India and the U.S. 

The cover of the original French version of Tour Du Monde en 80 Jours

Fictional character Fileas Fogg's route began in London and headed east. I will begin in California and head west.

Several films have been made based on Jules Vernes' novel, but my favorite came out in 1956, starring David Niven as Fileas Fogg and Cantinflas, the Mexican super star comedian, as his French side kick.
Fileas Fogg traveled mainly by steamer and train. My plan is to travel almost exclusively by train, and flying when necessary.


Another cover of the novel in French.

I need to flip the direction of the train so it will be accurate for my journey.

  • Amazing that the original idea of around-the-world in 80 days is almost 150 years old. Now it's possible to circumnavigate the globe in just a day or so if you fly the whole way and only stop to refuel, but that wouldn't be any fun.

A children's version of the story.


I’m a bit of a world traveler too. But this year, I’ve mainly been living in the Philippines, only returning to California briefly to visit my parents. At one point, I forfeited my return ticket to stay in the Philippines longer, So I ended up buying a round trip ticket from Manila to San Francisco and back.

Rather than crossing the Pacific Ocean for the 6th time this year, I decided to do something different and return home by heading west…all the way around the world. I probably should have taken a more southerly route since winter is approaching, but instead I chose the Trans-Siberian Railway, being a bit of a train fanatic. Just the name conjures up such romance, and as the longest train ride in the world, it seemed appropriate. 

Another goal in my life is to visit at least 100 countries. My total was 71 before this trip, and will be increased to 78 by the end, with the addition of China, Mongolia, Russia, Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. I’m fluent in German and have many friends throughout Germany, so I will spend extra time there, and then fly to New York, continuing by train across the U.S.


I started my journey by flying from San Francisco to Manila on September 16. Eighty days later will be December 5. I’ve mapped it out, updated the route and dates a few times, and it all seems to fit. I hope to spend Thanksgiving with relatives in the eastern U.S., and be home long before Christmas.

A map of the Trans-Siberian Railway. I'll take the blue route from Beijing across Mongolia and Siberia to Moscow and St. Petersburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment