Day 1: San Francisco Airport to Manila, Philippines

Friday, Sept. 16, 2016

I guess I'm lucky. My non-stop flight from SFO to Manila is scheduled for "only" 13 hours.
Nothing exciting yet. Just waiting at the San Francisco Airport for my 10:45 p.m. boarding time. My main concern at this point is overweight baggage. It wasn't a problem for this international flight. But it may be for my connecting flight from Manila to Cebu City. It's happened before where I had to keep putting on more clothes, to lighten my carry-on bag, which can't be more than 7 kilos (about the same weight as a terrier mutt). I'm also thinking I can take the Costco snacks out of their protective boxes, just hoping they don't get smashed on the short 1-hour flight from island to island.

I already had a return flight to Manila, but since I've been going back and forth to the Philippines so much this year, I was getting tired of flying over the Pacific Ocean. So why not keep going in the same direction? Since I love trains, I started researching the Trans-Mongolian and the Trans-Siberian Railways. Doing the whole trip in 80 days is going to be challenging, but this late in the year it's probably a good idea to keep moving, especially on such a northern route. Snow in Siberia looks romantic in the movie Dr. Zhivago, but I'm a California Girl and not prepared for cold.

If I time it perfectly, I'll be back at home in Santa Cruz, California by December 4. But I've already decided not to buy more tickets in advance than I have to, just in case I absolutely fall in love somewhere, I can stay longer, and if I absolutely hate it I can leave quickly. Most of my travel will be by train because it's my favorite mode of transportation, and the only flights will be across two oceans and from Manila to Beijing.


The Philippines has 7500 islands. I've been to 17 so far: Luzon, Samar, Leyte, Cebu, Malapascua, Palawan, Cagsalay, Mindanao, Siquijor, Negros, Siargao, Bohol, Panglao, Cowrie, Pandan, Starfish and Luli.


No comments:

Post a Comment