Day 11: Last Day in Cebu City, Philippines

Monday, September 26, 2016

I've actually gone overland from Manila to Cebu City before, including a train and a ferry from Samar to Cebu. I've done the 30-hour boat ride all the way, and I've flown numerous times, a quick hour.

One last day in Cebu City before my flight to Manila in preparation for my trip to China for the first time. In my mind, this is when the adventure really begins since I've spent months in the Philippines before, nearly everyone speaks English, and I'm very familiar and at home there. But China will be another story.

Debrah and I had an uneventful day in Cebu City, not my favorite place in the Philippines. And I've been to a lot. I've spent time on Palawan Island, on the southernmost island of Mindanao, known for Muslim rebels, in the cities of General Santos, Davao, Surigao, and Butuan. I've explored the wonderful islands of Siquijor, Bohol, and Siargao. I've gone up north to the world heritage rice terraces, cool mountain villages of Baguio and Sagada, and the historic village of Vigan. I've checked out the former U.S. Navy bases of Subic Bay and nearby Olongapo. And I've enjoyed Old Manila. But the big cities of Cebu and Manila are not my favorites. Traffic, noise, trash, homeless, no trees, very little nice architecture, few parks...not my favorites.

We hung out mostly around the port and old Colon area of Cebu until it was time to head to the airport for my flight to Manila. I'll definitely miss Debrah and all my Filipino friends, but I know I'll be back.


The Colon District of Cebu City has lots of bargains, but known for thieves.

A common sight in Cebu City is older foreigners with young Filipinas.

Many children live on the streets or wander around unattended.

Enjoying some coconut juice and eating the coconut meat too.

Street side coffin and funeral.

This is a building from 1930 near the port in Cebu City.

One of many homeless people in Cebu City. I especially worry about the women.

Ads for historic sites in Cebu City above, a squatter's camp inside.

Squatters with makeshift shelter from the rain.

Debrah has lived 3 years in Cebu City but had never been to Plaza Independencia before.

A war memorial donated by the Japanese people, hoping for peace in the future. Japan invaded the Philippines during WWII, until united forces of the Philippines and U.S. forced them out. Remember General Douglas MacArthur's famous words: "I shall return."

Posing in front of Fort San Pedro with all the baggage I travel with around the world. Mostly clothes in the red suitcase, my laptop and cameras in the backpack.

Fortunately, with the warm weather, sleeping outside is not as unhealthy as in some cities in the world.

Many families rent out rooms to supplement their meager income.


No comments:

Post a Comment