Day 12: Last Day in Manila, Philippines

Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016

Some of my favorite friends live in a suburb of Manila called Makati. And my favorite dentist has her office nearby. Otherwise, I don't think I'd spend any time in Manila. If you're going there as a tourist you can spend a day in Old Manila. Other than that, it's not worth it. There are so so so many other wonderful places in the 7500 Philippines Islands.

Manila is a big bustling city of nearly 2 million.

One of the best ways to get around the city is the LRT, Light Rail Train. Otherwise, it can be bumper to bumper by road.


The Skyway is an elevated road that charges a toll but can save some travel time.

On my last day in Manila, my first priority was getting the flash on my camera fixed. Cost: $38. The same problem on a different Canon Rebel had cost me $250 in Santa Cruz.
Chess, dominos, cards, are often played on the sidewalks.

This guy has been duplicating keys, etc. for 30 years.

He cuts rubber stamps out of leather with an exacto knife.


Street kids

Malls are popular in the Philippines, partly because they're air-conditioned, and Filipinos love to shop and eat.

Muslim women are the majority of pearl and jewelry venders.

I bought towels and got the names of my friend monogrammed for free. This woman works 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for little pay. She's been working without a day off for five days. I gave her a tip, worth a week's pay ($20).
Hijabs for sale in the market.

Newly elected President Duterte may be controversial around the world, for ordering drug dealers, users and other criminals be killed without trial, but in the Philippines he is extremely popular.

Motor tricycles are more common in smaller cities, but can be seen in certain areas of Manila.

Basketball is the most popular sport in the Philippines. They all know the teams of the NBA way better than I do. Here a basketball hoop makes a convenient place to hang drying clothes.

How about a Yumbo or a Monster burger?

Most Filipinos don't care about recycling, but the poor people and trash collectors are the ones to sort the garbage.

This guy will be traveling by ship so that he can take excess baggage, possibly visiting his family from working abroad in Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Singapore or Hong Kong.





Filipino food is not as popular as other Asian cuisines, but if you like pork you'll love it.

Goodbye dinner with my friends in Makati. We went out for Filipino food since Sherry Ann and the kids had just gotten back from a month in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment