Day 16: A Walk on the Great Wall of China

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Walls are in the news these days thanks to U.S. presidential candidate and billionaire, Donald Trump. From the beginning of his campaign he has promised to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico, and make Mexico pay for it. According to Wikipedia, "It is the most frequently crossed controlled international boundary in the world, with approximately 350 million legal crossings being made annually. The total length of the continental border is 3,201 kilometers (1,989 mi)."

The Great Wall of China, which runs along the northern border of China is even longer, 8,850 km (5,500 mi), depending on how you measure it. It's also hard to say how long it took to build because it was done in stages. But from what I understand, it didn't help keep the Mongolians out. Just like the double wall between Tijuana and San Ysidro hasn't succeeded in sealing up the border. People go over it with ladders, dig tunnels under it, go around via ocean and the desert, and fly above it.

But I have to admit, it was impressive to actually witness the Great Wall of China and walk on it for three hours. I also went in the back door because of the holidays, which took at least at hour of hiking once I got to the base of the mountain. Because of the smog I could barely see the wall as I got closer. I also learned that it is not possible to see it from outer space, as many people believe. Even the Chinese astronauts had to admit it was not visible. But it's a good story.

Most visitors to the Great Wall go in organized groups and ascend via a cable car. I chose to ride the toboggan down, which was my greatest expense of the day, 800 yuan (about $12) for a 5-minute thrill.


I could have joined an organized tour for close to $50, which would have only allowed me one hour to actually walk on the wall. But instead, my friend Hash from the hostel outlined a complicated self-tour via public transportation. I attempted it, but jumped in a cab with another Indian guy who was late for work at a hotel near the wall, once we got off the long bus ride from the city.

I saw a lot of these mills in the village area before I started the ascent.


Even though the Indian guy told me I could enter through the back way, I saw a few signs saying it was prohibited.
This wonderful mother and son live in Singapore and he, especially, speaks very good English. That's his father's mother, and I also met his mother's father, who live in China not far from the wall. They had never walked on top of it, and told me I would have to enter through the official entrance and pay a fee.


A young Chinese couple also hiked up the back way. I'm proud to say, this old lady left them in the dust.


Finally, I reached the wall at a rather high point of it. So a lot of my walk on the wall was downhill.


Jumping for joy on the wall.


This part of the wall is not very touristy because it doesn't have a cable car, and because it hasn't been renovated from stone to brick.


This friendly guy offered to take my picture after watching me set up my camera on self-timer. He also wanted to practice his English.


Climbing the wall is an exercise in up and down. Good for the thigh muscles.
The guard towers are great for the vendors and for enjoying the views.


I asked every foreigner along the way their nationality. I met people from Australia, Russia, Poland, Italy, France, U.S., Brazil, Canada, and Kazakhstan.




This guy takes a break for a smoke. 


Group selfie time.

This Chinese tourist asked to pose with these Polish kids.
This nice family invited me to visit them in Gdansk, Poland. I met their husbands going the opposite direction.

To discourage graffiti, big sheets of paper are provided for messages and autographs. I wrote Chelsea From California, just for fun.




Tourists from Beijing.


The toboggan ride down was fun, but too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment