Day 29: A Day in Irkutsk

Saturday, October 15, 2016

I had most of the day just to wander around and take photos. I rode a street car until I saw the historic district and jumped off. I walked all around, then I walked back to the hostel where I'd left my bags. Then I walked to the train station and boarded my train west. Nobody spoke English at all, so I worked on my photos, and updated my diary.









This guy caught me taking his picture, but then he just looked away.

I think this might be the caregiver's cottage, which is adorable.

A wall of icons in the church.




This gypsy woman is training her daughter young to beg.

The coat of arms for Irkutsk is a Siberian tiger with a sable in its mouth.

I ran into the Korean woman who did the Olkhon Island tour with me. We made a plan to meet in Moscow and St. Petersburg. I booked a bed at the same hostels where she already had reservations.


See the red heart-shaped lock on the right? That's typical all over Europe. Of course not that big. But you put the names of two lovers on them and then lock them to a railing or a park bench.



I wandered into a fancy shopping mall to use the rest room and buy some food for my train trip that evening.

These jeans are in a really upscale store. I always think that I could find the same thing in a thrift store (or garbage can) for way less money.

I was looking for a rest room, not the gas chamber, in this fancy shopping center.

The inside of the rest room looked just as cold and sterile as the outside.



These are traditional Russian chocolates, the same kind the Malaysian guy brought to share in the Ulan Ude hostel.

In many ways, this looked like any upscale supermarket....except the dried fish section.

A surplus of vodka too is something you wouldn't see in an American supermarket.

They make fresh crepes in the deli section.


"I Love Irkutsk"





Russians can be quite affection in public.


Notice the hammer and sickle in the top left, left over from Soviet days.

The ever-present Lenin.

I don't need to read Russian to know that this is a Lost Dog poster. And I don't need to know Russian to imagine that the owners are really missing this cutie.


Rodin's "Kiss"

Rodin's "Thinker"



I really appreciated these bilingual signs in the historic district.






Tex Mex in Russia



A display of firefighting vehicles over the years.

Back on the train

Looking cold outside, but the train is well heated.






Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment